Personal Care Services That Senior Home Care Agencies Provide
Seniors today are choosing more and more to age in place rather than relocate to expensive and, sometimes, dubious assisted living facilities. This trend towards aging in place has given rise to multitudes of businesses offering caregivers to seniors wishing to remain at home even after experiencing significant health challenges. These professional caregivers are a wonderful and invaluable resource for families who want to give aging loved ones the comfort and peace associated with remaining in their own homes, and, at the same time, need more care and attention than working family members can realistically provide.
Personal caregivers are not home nurses and are not certified medically in any way. Rather, they are trained to offer compassionate and expert assistance with activities of daily living, such as the following:
- Bathing. Caregivers can assist your loved one in and out of a shower or tub, or perform a sponge bath.
- Bathroom needs. Caregivers are gentle and sensitive and will help your loved one maintain their dignity, even when they need assistance with incontinence, urgency, and accidents.
- Personal hygiene. Aging seniors still need their teeth brushed and flossed and hands washed. Their skin needs hydration and care. Personal caregivers can assist with all these and other hygiene tasks.
- Personal grooming. Seniors need to have their hair combed and looking nice to help them feel that all is right. Many elderly need help with getting clothing on and off and help with shoes and socks. Nails need to be trimmed and cared for neatly. Many women even like a bit of lipstick. All these tasks are made easier with a personal caregiver.
- Mobility. Successful aging in place requires that seniors maintain as much mobility as they can. They need to move about the house every day. Caregivers are trained to help seniors get light exercise and strength training daily to keep them mobile.
Senior home care in San Jose is just a phone call away. Get you and your loved one the help you need today.