Take Control of Your Health: 5 Flu Prevention Tips for Seniors
It is that time of year again: flu season. Influenza, also commonly known as the flu, is a contagious virus that is causes by influenza A or B viruses. The flu can cause symptoms such as fever, cough, core throat, runny or stuffy nose, headaches and muscle and/or body aches. While anyone is susceptible to catching the flu, it is important to remember that adults over the age of 65 are at a higher risk of developing serious flu-related complications. 24 Hour Home Care has come up with five tips that seniors can take to help prevent contracting the flu and experiencing these symptoms. Here is how you can protect yourself or your loved one!
1. Get a flu vaccine. You may consider opting for a specially designed vaccine, Fluzone High-Dose, that contains four times the amount of antigen as a regular flu shot.
2. Wash your hands frequently. Wash your hands thoroughly with warm water and soup, including the- backs of hands, between fingers and under the nails.
3. Drink plenty of liquids. This will help the nasal passages stay moist and trap germs before they are able to spread into your body.
4. Avoid crowds. Limit your interaction with individuals who may have the flu. Additionally, you might want to avoid traveling that may not be necessary.
5. Be mindful with your hands. Try not to touch your mouth, nose and eyes. Every time your hand meets them, there is a chance that bacteria and viruses may be transferred.
We hope that you will take the necessary precautions to protect yourself or your loved one using these tips. Stay healthy!