Holiday Gifts Seniors Will Love and Appreciate
We know that it can be challenging to find the right holiday gift for the very special people in your life.
If you have an aging loved one, choosing the right gift can be especially challenging. Of course, one of the best gifts that you can give them is your time. However, if you would like to buy a tangible gift or are living in another place than your loved one, we have some gift ideas for your loved one that we think they will be able to enjoy for years to come! It is important to note that the gift you are giving to an elderly individual should be safe, easy to use and accident proof. Some gifts that your elderly loved one could enjoy could be:
- Cozy & comfy blankets! Everyone loves to snuggle up to a warm and comfortable blanket while relaxing. Blankets or throws are especially useful for your senior loved one, as their body temperature can fluctuate, and they may experience cold sensations.
- An adaptive sweater that will keep them warm and cozy during the coldest months of winter! This sweater is soft, allows your loved one to have mobility and will keep them warm! They can wear this while they are out in public or just relaxing at home.
- An Echo Dot can help your loved one get information in a fast and easy manner! Now they can ask the Echo Dot for the weather, to turn on lights and to play music!
- An experience that they will never forget. Whether you live close by or far away, a great gift to give your senior loved one is the experience to have a meal with you at their favorite restaurant. You could buy them a gift certificate or gift card to a restaurant that you know they will enjoy. When the time comes, you can enjoy a wonderful meal filled with joyous conversation! If you are unable to make the meal, make sure that you either find a family friend or another family member to attend with them, or simply send them the gift card or gift certificate.
- Comfortable, appropriate walking shoes can be a gift that you can feel good about giving and that your loved one will enjoy getting! These shoes will allow your loved one to continue to stay active, while staying safe and comfortable.
- Personal Emergency Response Systems (PERS)! Are you worried that your loved one will fall and have no way to notify you or emergency services? Buying them a device that can be worn either on their wrists or around their neck can help them in a time of need and put your mind at ease.
- A personalized gift! Did you know that Shutterfly.com has gifts that you can customize with pictures and messages for your loved one? Consider getting them a personalized key-chain, magnet or mug so that they can be reminded of their loved ones daily!
- Consider gifting them a cushion to sit on! Some of the best gifts are the most practical gifts! Allow your loved one to sit comfortably by gifting them a cushion that will serve as an extra layer of comfort for them.
- A stool or bench for the shower. If your loved one has been having a hard time getting in and out of the shower or tub, it might be a good idea to take this opportunity to buy them a stool or bench for them to use. This will allow them to sit when they need it and gracefully get in and out of the tub or shower.
- Give them the gift of assistance with this handy bar and cane! When they get out of their seat or get out of your car, they deserve to feel safe and protected. Giving them this as a gift will give you the peace of mind that you deserve and the protecting your loved one needs!
- The gift of a caregiver through 24 Hour Home Care! Does your loved one need help around the house? Does he or she need a companion? 24 Hour Home Care can be there for your family by providing meal preparation, medication reminders, light housekeeping and companionship.
Keep in mind that your loved one’s safety and happiness should always come first.
Gifts should be thoroughly screened and tested to make sure that they are appropriate for your aging loved one to have and use. We hope that you have a wonderful holiday season filled with happiness, joy and time well spent with your loved ones. Happy Holidays!