Men’s Health and Important Medical Issues
How Can Men Live a Longer Life?
The first thing to note is that the word ‘health’ is not exclusive to a man’s physical well-being. Their mental and emotional state is a large factor in their overall well-being and health. With that being said, there are several ways men can be proactive about their physical, emotional and mental health. The first step to living a longer and healthier life is to go to the doctor on a regular cadence, for yearly exams and routine checkups. These doctors’ appointments can range from a simple physical to a screening for testicular or prostate cancer.
These appointments should serve as a haven for men to connect with their doctor regarding any concerns and questions about their health.
In addition to regular doctor visits, it is important for men to take the necessary precautions to live a healthier and prolonged life. This includes, but is not limited to, the following:
- Maintaining a healthy weight. Please consult your doctor about what weight is appropriate for your height and body.
- Sustaining a well-balanced diet with food that will fuel their body. Healthy foods include vegetables, fruits, healthy fats and lean protein. Please consult your medical professionals about the appropriate foods for your body, including which foods you should and should not eat regularly.
- Hydration is important! It is recommended for adult males to drink about 15.5 cups or 3.7 liters of water a day. In order to ensure that you are getting enough water, we suggest counting the amount of cups you drink each day to be sure you meet your goal.
- Avoid drinking alcohol in excess or smoking cigarettes. This will allow your body to maintain its health, without toxins and chemicals interfering.
- Moving your body with a minimum of 30-minutes of exercise a day can help keep your body in tip-top shape! Not only will exercise allow you to work your body, but this may help your mind release and relax.
- Paying attention and checking in on mental health is important. Physical health is important, but mental and emotional well-being is imperative to living a happy life. Checking in on themselves and their mindset allows them to evaluate their state of mind and if they need to seek help. Sadness, anger and anxiety are all feelings that men (and women alike) should keep notice of. Please consult a doctor if you are concerned about your mental health.
What Diseases and Medical Issues Do Men Face in Today’s World?
It is imperative to note that men can develop illnesses and medical conditions at the same rate as women. In fact, there are some illnesses, such as breast cancer, that even men are susceptible to. However, there are several medical conditions that men are more prone to. These illnesses are:
- Cardiovascular Disease
- Respiratory Disease
- Alcohol Abuse
- Skin Cancer
- Liver Disease
- Prostate Cancer
- Testicular Cancer
It is imperative that all men speak with their doctor regarding their risk for developing these illnesses and diseases, among others. The chances that a man will be more susceptible to developing these illnesses or diseases will be largely dependent on their lifestyle and family history. Please consult your medical professionals if you have any questions, comments or concerns regarding your medical history and your health.